Sunday, June 6, 2010

Grow Where You are Planted


"Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon, 'Build houses and live in them; and plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and become the fathers of sons and daughters, and take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; and multiply there and do not decrease. Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare. Do not let your prophets who are in your midst and your diviners deceive you, and do not listen to the dreams which they dream. For they prophesy falsely to you in My name; I have not sent them,' declares the LORD . . . 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.’” (Jeremiah 29:1-12)

Ministry is tough, especially on families. For many ministers and their families, the ministry is a series of uprooting, moves, and replanting. This is especially true with us. Stephanie and I have served in six different churches in fourteen years. The longest and most fruitful ministry was at First Baptist Church in Oneonta, Alabama; we served there for five years. Since his birth, Davis has lived in six different houses and he is only six years old. We have experienced our share of uprooting and replanting. Though we believe most of our moves were following the will of God (some moves are debatable), it is still a difficult life.

So, what is different with our newest move to West Virginia? First of all, I can say that we are completely convinced that God has called us to serve in West Virginia. Secondly, in a recent devotional, I received the assurance that only God can provide. In Jeremiah 29, God speaks to His people that are living in exile. He tells His people to build homes, plant gardens, marry, have children, and seek the welfare of the city in which they live. Why? Because God uses those who grow where they are planted. In other words, God would be able to use His people in Babylon, to change the society, only if His people lived with the intent of staying. Though the uprooting of the people from their homeland to be sent in exile was an act of judgment, God still had a plan for them to prosper, if they planted their lives where He sent them.

Why does this passage make a difference in my life and in my ministry, especially now? It reminds me of a nugget of wisdom from one of my mentors: "The best place for you to serve is where God has planted you." I have no doubt that God has planted us in West Virginia. He has given us this wonderful opportunity to serve the churches and people of West Virginia. It is an opportunity and responsibility I do not take lightly. Frankly, we are tired of uprooting our lives; we are tired of moving. We are wanting to plant our lives and God has called us to do so in West Virginia. And we plan to grow where He has planted us.

Need more evidence: check out my shirt in the picture! If I wasn't sure, would I, a diehard Georgia Bulldog fan, wear blue and gold?

No comments:

Post a Comment